Compiled by Danna Brown Nickerson
10 years ago: The BIG Adventure Center was making plans to install a waterslide.
Construction was underway on the Sparrowhawk Mountain Ranch riding arena in West Bethel.
Don Murphy and Studie Cross laid the footing for the Millennium Sculpture next to the Bethel Post Office.
Birth: Molly Jean Cadogan.
Deaths: Mary Aleck, Lilliam Kilby, Helen N. Edmunds.
20 years ago: More than 50 rock hounds gathered at Nestor Tamminen’s mine in Greenwood during a field trip held during the 29th Western Maine Gem, Mineral and Jewelry Festival.
A camp owned my Norman Davis in Newry was set ablaze when lightning struck a nearby pine tree and traveled along the ground under it igniting pine needles.
The 30th annual Western Maine Art Group members’ show opened at the Lajos Matolcsy Art Center.
Birth: Patrick Michael Robinson.
Deaths: Clement A. Couture, Lorita “Babe” Bower.
30 years ago: Music at the 4th of July picnic held on the Bethel Common was furnished by Frank Fiske, Tom Caton, Mary Valentine and Rhodes Wright.
The Greater Bethel Chamber of Commerce hosted the International All-Star Circus, a 90-minute indoor circus, at the Telstar High School Gymnasium.
Nearly 100 attended the annual 4th of July Community Picnic at Mr. and Mrs. Willard Wight’s in Newry.
Deaths: Mrs. Madeline F. Dudley, Robert T. Davis.
40 years ago: The Bethel Water District had started the installation of water meters in conjunction with an order from the Public Utilities Commission in Augusta.
State Police and the Oxford County Sheriff’s Department were investigating break at four camps in Newry.
The Locke Mills Union Church Ladies Circle had hot top applied to the yard in front of the church.
Births: Andrew James Porter, Sandra Lynn Touchette.
Deaths: William A. Danforth, Mrs. Mildred Andrews, Sidney M. Abbott, Oswald Ramage, Theodore P. Emery.
50 years ago: Mrs. Ethel Bisbee donated a bound volume of town reports from 1887 to 1905 to the Town of Bethel.
The modern sawmill completed in 1959 by P. H. Chadbourne Co. was featured in the nationally-distributed magazine “The Lumberman.”
A crew from Bridgton was doing repair work on the Grange Hall at Hunt’s Corner.
Births: Quentin Harris Tyler, David Keith Emery.
Deaths: Mrs. Jennie Cates, Mrs. Minerva Abbott Akers, William H. Marquis.
60 years ago: A fire on the roof of the Poplar Tavern buildings was nearly quenched by a bucket brigade before the arrival of the town’s portable pump. Bethel firemen made the run there in 12 minutes but were not needed.
The new dump at the town farm was open for use four days a week.
The garage of Ranald Stevens, a 48x52 foot cement block building at the corner of Mechanic and Summer streets, was completed.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Waldron moved into the Knapp house on Mason Street which they bought in the spring.
Deaths: Eugene Van Den Kerckhoven.
70 years ago: Frank Goddard finished work at the Grand Trunk station after 19 years in Bethel.
Myron Bryant bought the Albion W. Herrick place on Vernon Street.
Eugene Van Den Kerckhoven was elected president of the Bethel Water Co.
80 years ago: Parker Connor bought the Douglass house on Summer Street.
The Gould Academy Class of 1911 held a reunion at Dunscroft Inn, Scarboro.
A family party of 34 enjoyed a get-together at the home of Mr. and Mrs. O. A. Buck, Swan’s Hill.
Deaths: William Lowe, Ward Swan, Mrs. F. J. Wilbur, Mrs. Joseph Lary, Mrs. Viana Hoyt.
90 years ago: At a reunion of the heirs of Joshua Howard at Howard Pond, Hanover, 116 were present.
Gould Academy announced the addition of a Domestic Arts course at the beginning of the school year.
100 years ago: The mill of J. A. Thurston at Newry Corner and the barn of Nahum Scribner in Albany were struck by lightning and burned. Hit by lightning with no fire were the barn of Fred L. Edwards on Vernon Street, a tree on Summer Street, and the home of Melvin Allen at North Waterford. The church steeple at North Waterford was demolished and much damage done throughout the building.
Elsie Bartlett finished teaching at Shelburne, N.H., and has returned home to East Bethel.
Lester Bean was home in East Bethel for the summer after teaching in Vassalboro.
Marriage: Gladys Rose Wiley and James Harvey McClure.