Contractors' Day Thanks
To the Editor:
On Saturday, May 18, the Telstar Middle and High School complex was buzzing with a variety of interior and outside projects. This activity was the result of the 5th Annual Telstar Complex Contractors' Day.
More than 25 contractors, subcontractors, community members, high school and middle school students and parents, Telstar Middle and High School Staff and administrators worked on a variety of projects, beginning at 7:30 a.m. and ending at 4:30 p.m. Within 9 hours, volunteers performed and completed these tasks:
* Interior projects:
- Installed cabinets and shelving in the middle school copy/storage room.
- Construction of cover for auditorium's sound system and lighting booth.
- Painting of interior hallway benches.
* Exterior projects:
- Installed new skirting and stairs for the Adult Education Portable Classroom.
- Exterior painting of football goal posts.
- Infield work on the middle school softball field.
- Weeding, edging and mulching of 7 flower gardens.
- Cutting of tree branches and brush cleanup of complex's 'island' and near parking areas.
- Painting of patio's picnic tables.
- Trash pickup of entire complex.
- Planting of flower pots, planters at front entry/canopy areas.
- Maintenance of GOTT FARM greenhouse doors and vents.
- Green staining of kick wall, high school softball field and baseball field dugouts.
* Rescheduled/pending projects:
- Ditching work around complex's roadways.
- Brush pile cleanup near maintenance garage.
- Interior painting of stairwells, hallways, high school office trim and fitness room.
- Finish weeding, edging, planting flowers and mulch student parking lot's T-garden.
Mr. Ron Deegan, SAD 44 Building and Grounds and Transportation Supervisor; Mr. Clark Rafford, Telstar Middle School Principal; Mrs. Gail Wight, Telstar Middle and High School Athletic Director, and I express our appreciation and wish to recognize the following contractors, businesses and community members who donated their own time, equipment, and expertise in providing a makeover of interior, exterior and grounds of the Telstar complex:
David Berry of David F. Berry Builders; Dave Freiday of Earth Designs Associates; Rob James of Rob James Painting; Jim Merrill of Pine Tree Waste; Mark Dirago of Quality Home Builders of Maine; Fred Johnson of Moody Mountain Builders; Corey Emerson and Robert Lowell of Western Maine Supply; and Doug and Drew Wilson of D.A. Wilson Contracting.
Special thanks to Western Maine Supply and Robert Lowell for donations of painting supplies and building materials; Sherwin-Williams and Larry Gallant for a donation of painting supplies; Frank DelDuca and Cross Roads Diner & Deli; and Dunkin' Donuts for providing Contractors' Day breakfast.
A special note of gratitude to Telstar HS and Telstar MS staff members for their donations and contributions to the day's luncheon: Mark Kenny, Merrie Lee Ojeda, Melissa Prescott, Barb Russell, Kate Slattery, and Sarah Southam. Also, to Julie Hart and Mahoosuc Kids' Association, for donation of plants and a variety of luncheon items.
Telstar Middle and High School students who performed a variety of interior and exterior project tasks and earned community service were: Logan Bartlett, Nicole Berry, Ricky James and Eric Lowell.
We are also grateful to community members and friends for their work: Bethel Rotarian Scott Hynek, SAD 44 Board Member Roberta Taylor, SAD 44 Maintenance and Grounds staff Brian Laverdiere, Telstar High School teacher and coach, Jim Lunney, neighbor and school volunteer Jewel Clark, parents Donna Howard and Shelley Peterson, and Jeff Hutchins for polyurethane work of the auditorium's sound booth cover materials.
Again, thank you area contractors, businesses/companies, community members, Telstar Middle and High School parents, staff members and students for all you provided in the makeover of the Telstar complex.
Daniel Hart, Principal, Telstar High School
Clark Rafford, Principal, Telstar Middle School
Ron Deegan, SAD 44 Buildings & Grounds and Transportation Supervisor
Gail Wight, Telstar Middle & High School Athletic Director